Designer Tip: Use the template to add spackled ferns overlapping a muted background of inked ferns on light green cardstock. Then sponge a darker green ink over the spackled ferns which visually brings them forward, creating distance between the spackled ferns and the background.
- Place your card with the fold at the top. Cover the card front with light green cardstock, gluing the right side but leaving the left side loose. Place the ferns template over the covered card front with the medium sized fern design overlapping the left side of the card front. Secure the stencil with tape and mask off the other fern designs with sticky notes. Use a cosmetic sponge to apply guacamole ink through the open areas of the fern design on the template. With the template still in place add a bit of warm green ink down the center of the fern.
- Lift the template and place it with the same fern design to the right of the first one on the card front. Secure the template again with tape. Lightly sponge over the fern design with olive pastel ink, then toffee ink over part of the fern. Now move the same design to the right side of the card, angling the fern to the right. Lightly sponge with olive pastel ink, then guacamole. Repeat for the lower right corner, angling the fern to the left using olive pastel ink plus guacamole. Move the template once more, and use toffee ink for a fern at the right side between the last two ferns.
- Now place the template with the large fern design angled over the center of the card front between the other inked ferns. Mask the other fern designs on the template with sticky notes and tape the template in place. Use toffee, then olive pastel ink for this fern. Let dry.
- Place the template with the medium sized fern design angled to the left on the card front, so the bottom of the design extends off the bottom of the card near the center. Mask off the other fern designs and tape the template in place. Obtain a dab of Artist Spackle™ with the squeegee and spread across the template, being sure to fill all the open areas of the fern design. Carefully lift the template, rinse with water and pat dry. Let the spackle image dry. Repeat for another fern angled to the right, and extending off the bottom of the card as shown. Let dry.
- Replace the clean template over a spackled fern, then use a cosmetic sponge to add warm green ink over the leaves. Repeat for the second spackled fern and let dry. Stamp “You’re in my thoughts.” between the two spackled ferns with warm green ink. Tie a knot in the brown grosgrain ribbon, 3” from one end. Place vertically over the left end of the cardstock with the knot 2” from the top. Tuck the ends under the cardstock and glue in place. Glue the left side of the cardstock to the card. Apply the assorted inks to the edges of the card front with a sponge applicator.
- Cut a 4 1/4”x2 3/4" light green rectangle. Use the small and medium fern designs on the template plus the assorted inks to create a variety of inked fern images across the rectangle, angling the ferns in different directions. Stamp “You’re in my heart.” with toffee ink. Ink the edges with the various inks and let dry. Mat on tan cardstock with 1/8” borders. Glue centered to the inside. Knot remaining ribbon and Zot as shown.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- 8”x8” Princess Cardstock (link)
- Steampunk Ribbon set (link)
- Heartfelt Greetings Stamps set (link)
- Acrylic block (link)
- 5”x6 1/2” blank white card (link)
- Artist Sparkle (link)
- Mini Squeegee (link)
- 6X6 Ferns Template (link)
- Color Box Fluid Chalk ink pads: Warm Green (link), Olive Pastel (link), Toffee (link), Guacamole Limited Edition (link)
- Stencil tape (link)
- Sticky notes
- Cosmetic sponge wedges