Technique: Painting with Distress inks
To apply inks in small spaces, I like to paint with Distress or dye inks. To do that, press the ink pad onto a craft sheet several times, remove the pad, and spritz the inked area lightly with water. Then, just dip the paintbrush into the ink and brush it onto your paper. It covers evenly and you can control the shade by the amount of water you spray into the ink.
- For the card front: Turn the card with the fold at the top. Carefully cut the inner bracket shape from the Butterflies card topper and set aside for another card. Use the paintbrush and follow the directions to paint the frame pink. Place the topper on the card front and trace around the window. Remove the topper and cut out the window from the front. Glue the topper in place.
- Cut out the “thinking of you” Butterflies label. Paint the center area pink and the frame green, then glue to the front at the lower right. Tie a ribbon bow and glue to the upper left window corner.
- Place a 1 1/8" and a 5/8" Dazzles™ button on Handmade Memories green paper and cut around the edges. Place a 3/8" and a 3/4" Dazzles™ button on Handmade Memories pink paper and cut out. Foam tape the 3/4" pink button on the largest button, then glue to the bow center. Glue the 3/8" button and foam tape the 5/8" button on the label as shown. Tie two thread bows and glue to buttons as shown.
- For the inside: Cover the inside with Handmade Memories pink paper. Cut out the Butterflies “thank you” label, then paint the butterfly pink and the frame green. Foam tape to the inside, centered in the window when the card is closed. Place the Dazzles™ border as shown. Foam tape a heart button to the label at the upper right, then glue knotted thread in the center.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Butterflies Ebony Color Me™ Card Toppers (link)
- Handmade Memories Paper Pack (link)
- Buttons Dazzles™ Black (link)
- 6" of ¾" wide light pink crepe ribbon (link)
- White embroidery thread
- #2 flat paintbrush (about ¼" wide)
- Distress inks: Bundled Sage, Spun Sugar
- Spritzer bottle (link), water
- Craft knife (link)
- Cutting mat (link)
- Craft sheet (link)
- Foam tape (link)
- Craft glue (link)
- Adhesive (link)
- 5"x6½" white card & matching envelope (link)