Designer Tip: This box is actually an old oats canister re-purposed as a cute gift box! I love the large scallops the border punch makes. The bow at the top is actually tied through two holes in the lid—so you can pull the middle of the bow to take off the lid.
- Remove the lid of the canister. Cut a 12”x4 1/4” piece of grey/yellow tapestry and glue around the center of the canister. Do not cover the top 5/8” of the canister (without the lid) to ensure the lid will still fit. Cut two 12”x3/4” strips of black texture and punch along one edge of each strip using the scallop border punch. Glue these strips around the canister along the top and bottom of the grey/yellow piece.
- Place the canister standing up on the back of black/white tapestry and trace around the lid with a pencil. Cut out the circle leaving a 1/4” border around it. Make 1/4” cuts around the edge of the circle spaced about 1/2”, with the cuts just touching the pencil line. Cover the bottom of the canister with glue stick and glue to the center of the circle. Apply glue stick to the sides around the bottom of the canister and press down the little tabs you’ve created by cutting the slits. Repeat this process to the top of the canister lid.
- Cut two 12”x1 1/4” strips of white cardstock and two of black/white tapestry and punch each of the 4 strips with the scallop border punch. Glue the black/white strips on top of the white cardstock strips, leaving a 1/16” white border along the scalloped edges. Turn the strips over and trim off the excess paper along the white cardstock. Glue one strip around the bottom of the canister and one along the sides of the lid.
- Cut a decorative scallop using the 15 Lovely Labels Template and yellow/white pattern and cut out the side holes. Ink the edges heavily with Jet Black StazOn® and a cosmetic wedge. Cut a scalloped label using the template and white cardstock. Print “Sweet Treats” in the center of the label. Ink the edges heavily and mat on black texture, leaving a 1/16” border. Ink edges and glue to the center of the yellow/white label. Glue the center of the label centered on the canister, leaving the edges with holes free.
- Measure out the circumference of the canister (mine was 11 3/4”) and subtract 2 inches. Cut this length of 1/4” wide sheer yellow ribbon. String one end of the ribbon through the hole on one end of the label and tape the end to the back of the label. Bring the end of the ribbon around the canister and secure through the hole on the other side of the label. You might want to use Zots™ adhesive dots to adhere the ribbon ends and/or label to the canister.
- Peel off the swirl border on the black corners Dazzles™ sheet. Place on top of the narrow ribbon around the canister and trim if necessary. Place a swirly corner on each side of the yellow label as shown. Trim two more swirly corners to just a couple swirls, and place on the top and bottom of the label as shown.
- Place the lid inside facing up on a cutting mat. Mark two short lines in the center, 1/4” apart from each other. Cut the slits carefully with an X-acto® knife. Take 14” of the 1 1/2” wide yellow ribbon and string through the slits with the ends on the top of the lid. Tie in a simple knot, then tie in a bow. Trim the ends in a v-shape at your desired length.
- Fill the canister with your “sweet treats” and give to a friend!
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- KnockOuts Border Value Kit (link)
- Old oats canister or other similar shaped box. This canister’s dimensions- diameter: 3 1/2”, height 5 1/2”, circumference: 11 3/4”
- Sunshine & Shadows Paper Pack (link)
- Sunshine & Shadows Ribbon Set (link)
- Black Corners Dazzles™ (link)
- 15 Lovely Labels Template (link)
- Jet Black StazOn® ink pad (link)
- 12”x12 white cardstock (link)
- X-acto® knife (link)
- Cosmetic sponge