Click to view a larger image
- Cut the Eiffel Tower border paper in two, cutting away 4" from the right side of the paper. Set aside the smaller portion for the right page. Mat two 1" strips of pink paper behind the left and right edges of the larger piece so that 1/4" border is showing. Attach to the pink tapestry paper 1 1/2" in from the left edge. Place paper on cutting surface and use X-acto® knife to cut along the right edge of the Eiffel Tower design, from the second tier to the base of the pink leaf outline. Leave a 1/4" border uncut, then cut another 1 1/2" slit. Trim a 5" x 8" piece of black paper and attach the right edge against the edge of the paper. Tuck the left edge under the Eiffel Tower border, starting at second tier and secure to the back of the page.
- Cut two 4" x 3 1/4" pieces of white cardstock. Trim two 3" x 3 1/2" photos and mat at the top of the white cardstock pieces. Attach photos evenly spaced on black paper strip, tucking the corner of the left-most photo under the cut out Eiffel Tower border. Cut one 2" square black paper and mat a 1 3/4" square photo at the center. Set aside.
- Cut one 3 1/2" square, one 3" square and one 2" square of pink paper. Fold each paper in half to form a triangle, keeping white side on the outside, as shown in the basic instructions at the top of the Kirigami template. Fold each piece again, into a smaller triangle. Repeat, making one more fold. Make sure that the open edge of the fold is at the top of the final triangle. Place the template for the "Yuri" flower over the largest piece, lining up the guides with the edges. Trace the design then remove the template and cut along the lines. When all cuts have been made, unfold and open the flower. Fold the inner cut petals under and tuck over the outer curve, as shown on the template.
- Trace the design for one larger and one smaller "Double Daisy" over the remaining pieces. Then remove template and cut along design. When all cuts have been made, unfold and open flower. Add pen-work to the flowers, drawing broken lines along the edges of all inner and outer cuts. Zot™ Double Daisies onto black paper and cut around outer edges, leaving daisy loosely attached at the center.
- Run a 9" length of ribbon through the center of the Yuri flower, threading ribbon over outer edges and under center of flower. Tuck the left end of the ribbon into a slit near the top of the Eiffel Tower border. Secure in back. Zot™ the ribbon and flower in place centered over pink matting at the right of the border piece. Tuck the right end of the ribbon behind the edge of the page and secure in back. Add the small matted photo to the center. Foam tape the double daisies overlapping along the bottom of the pink matting at the left of the border piece.
- Use black memory thread to write part of title ("Places"). It helps to write the word in cursive on a piece of paper first so that you can follow the lines you make. At junctions in the letters it helps to wrap the memory thread in a loop to secure that point. Make your first capital letter separate, then spell out the rest of the word with a single piece of memory thread. Use a couple small Zots™, rolled up, to position and hold your word in place on the purple border paper above the ribbon. Then use needle and thread to tack down your word at each junction. Add pieces of tape over knots of thread at the back of your page to secure.
- Use a fine-tipped black pen to add supportive journaling around the title word in memory thread ("Oh, the PLACES you've gone…"). Add journaling to the space at the bottom of each of the larger photos. Journal place and date onto the turned-out petals on either side of the Yuri flower.