Designer Tip: Sprinkling salt onto wet watercolors will produce a wonderful splotchy effect. It’s perfect for a frosty look or to accent solid colors with small speckles of lighter tones. For this card, I colored the watercolor paper in uneven sections with watercolor pencils. I spritzed water heavily over the paper to drench it, then sprinkled salt over the entire piece. The paper must dry on its own without help from a heat gun so the salt has time to work its magic. Once dry, I removed the salt by rubbing it off. For these intense tones, I colored heavily; using a lighter touch would result in a pastel background. I used sea salt, but iodized salt will also work with watercolor mediums. The more salt you sprinkle, the more speckles and splotches you’ll get.
- Card front: Place the card with the fold on the left and cover with purple cardstock. Cut 4¾"x6¼" Batik purple circles paper and glue centered on the front. Cut 4¼"x2" Batik pink paper and mat on purple cardstock with 1/16" borders. Glue ¼" from the bottom.
- Cut 3½"x5" watercolor paper. Use the pencils to color it in sections, alternating colors to completely cover the paper and overlapping the colors where they meet. I used these pencils: #140, #125, #143, #139, #136, #144, and #141. Spritz water on the paper until it’s saturated, then immediately sprinkle salt over the entire surface (I roll the salt between my thumb and fingers to scatter it evenly over the paper). Set aside to dry.
- Remove the salt from the paper by rubbing it off with clean fingers. Mat the paper on dark blue cardstock with 1/16" borders then glue 3/8" from the top. Stamp the telephone in Black on plum cardstock, then trim to 1¾"x2 7/8". Mat on dark blue cardstock with 1/16” borders, then glue to the watercolored panel on the lower right as shown.
- Use the Easy Layered Ribbons template to trace and cut Scotty 1 and Scotty 2 from light blue cardstock, then ink the edges with Ocean. Stamp “an old-fashioned HELLO” in Black on Scotty 2, then foam tape to Scotty 1. Glue the banner and place nailheads as shown.
- Card inside: Cut 4¾"x6¼" Batik purple tiles paper and glue centered on the inside. Cut 4"x4½" watercolor paper and follow the process in step 2 to color it, using these pencils: #141, #147, #143, #136, #153, and #144. Spritz and salt it as before, then set aside to dry. Rub off the salt, then mat on purple cardstock with 1/16" borders. Glue 3/8" from the top.
- Stamp the typewriter on plum cardstock with Black ink and trim to 2 3/8"x2". Mat on dark blue cardstock with 1/16" borders, then glue to the watercolored panel. Trace and cut Scotty 2 and basic Ben banners from light blue cardstock. Ink the edges with Ocean, then stamp “YOU’RE MY TYPE…” with Black on Scotty 2. Foam tape it to basic Ben, then glue below the typewriter and place a nailhead on each end, as shown.