Designer Tip: When using the Spectrum Noir pens, it’s easy to create depth in your designs by shading. I just shaded the leaves and berries, but you could shade the lines and background as well, adding a slightly darker pen color near the leaves. It’s best to color one small section at a time so you can shade while the ink is still wet. For easy 2-color shading, begin by coloring the area with a light pen shade. Now go in with the darker pen and color where shadows would fall on your object. Don’t color too much—you can always go back and add more if it ends up too light. While it’s still wet, use the light shade again to blend the two colors together, eliminating harsh lines.
- For the card front: Turn the card with the fold at the top and cover the front with suede paper. Cut out the Color Me™ holly corners card topper and use the pens to color it. The berries are DR2, shaded with DR6 and the leaves are JG1, shaded with JG 5 (see how to shade in the designer’s tip, above.) The center area is CT3, with a red DR4 frame, surrounded by a gray GG5 line. Foam tape the topper centered on the front.
- Cut out the Color Me™ “good tidings…” label and use DR4 and CT3 to color the frames. Cut two 4¼" ribbons. With each, make a 1¼" loop, then fold the tail up behind the loop. Secure each loop and tail with tape, then use tape to secure one behind each end of the label. Foam tape the label centered on the topper.
- For the inside: Cut 6½"x2" suede paper and glue to the inside, 1" from the fold. Cut one 6½"x¼" and one 6½"x⅛" hammered silver paper and glue both to the suede as shown. Cut out the Color Me™ “wishing you peace…” label and use DR4 and CT3 to color the frames. Make two more ribbon loops & tails as in step 2 and secure one behind each end of the label. Glue the label centered on the suede paper.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Color Me™ Silver Holly Card Toppers (link)
- Forest Suede paper (link)
- Hammered Silver paper (link)
- 15" of ⅜" wide red satin ribbon (link)
- Spectrum Noir pen sets: Brights (link), Darks (link), Yellow (link)
- ¼" Ultra Clear tape (link)
- Foam tape squares (link)
- Adhesive (link)
- 5"x6½" white card & matching envelope (link)