Designer’s Tip: I cut the long curvy label from the Tags & Borders sheet and then used it as a template to trace and cut the same shape from white cardstock. Then I stamped and embossed my greeting and split the label to use a portion on the front and the rest on the inside. Punch a hole in the pointy end to add ribbon.
- Cut 6 1/2”x5” of black cardstock and set aside. Cut 6”x4 3/4” of horizontal stripe Double Dipped paper. Place the piece horizontally face down on a cutting mat. Make 6 vertical cuts evenly spaced using an X-acto® knife and ruler. Each cut should be at a slight diagonal (link). With a pencil, number the pieces 1 through 7, left to right.
- Flip over the pieces to their right side and separate pieces 1, 3, 5, & 7 from the rest. Over a scrap paper or craft sheet, use cosmetic sponges to color the middle of each piece with Ice Jade and the top and bottom with Deep Lagoon. For pieces 2, 4, & 6, color the middle with Pink Pastel and the top and bottom with Berrylicious. Arrange the pieces in the original order and glue to the black cardstock, leaving a 1/16” black border on the left and right, 1/16” space in between each piece, and a 1/8” border along the top and bottom.
- Cut out the long curvy label from the Tags and Borders sheet. Trace it onto white cardstock and cut out. Cut the label into two pieces, with the right piece 3 3/4” long and the left piece 2 1/4” long. Ink the edges of each piece with Deep Lagoon. Stamp and emboss “Happy Birthday” on the long piece and “For Someone Special” on the shorter piece. Mat each piece on black cardstock, leaving a 1/16” border. Punch a 1/8” hole in the pointy tip of each piece. Thread 6 1/2” of pink crepe ribbon through the hole in the long piece. Fold the short end of the ribbon onto itself, then tie a 3” piece of metallic teal ribbon around the folded pink ribbon. Foam tape the greeting in the bottom left, 1/2” from the bottom. Wrap the long end of the pink ribbon around to the back of the black carstock and use Zips™ adhesive lines to attach. Add a Zot™ underneath the knot of teal metallic ribbon. Glue the entire black cardstock piece to the front of the card, with the fold on the top.
- For the inside: Cut 6 1/2”x4 3/4” of black cardstock. Cut 5 3/4”x4 1/4” of vertical stripe Double Dipped paper. Place the piece onto a cutting mat and make 2 horizontal cuts with a ruler to create 3 angled pieces, as shown. Color the top and bottom piece with Berrylicious in the middle and Pink Pastel on the edges. Color the middle piece with Deep Lagoon in the middle and Ice Jade on the edges. Glue the colored pieces to the black cardstock, leaving a 1/8” border around all the pieces.
- Thread 7 1/2” of pink crepe ribbon through the hole in the “For Someone Special” tag and use 3” of metallic teal ribbon to replicate the ribbon technique from the front. Foam tape the greeting centered on the right edge of the card. Wrap the pink ribbon around to the back and attach with Zips™ adhesive lines. Add Zots™ adhesive dots where necessary.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Color Me™ Double Dipped Papers (Stripe, Tags & Borders)
- Boutique Ribbons 3/4” wide pink crepe (link)
- Metallic Ribbons 1/4” metallic teal (link)
- Birthday Greetings Stamps (link)
- Acrylic block (link)
- VersaMark™ ink pad (link)
- Black detail embossing powder (link)
- Heat embossing tool (link)
- Perfect Printing Pouch (link)
- ImagiCut Ribbon Cutter (link)
- Cosmetic sponges or stylus handle & blender tips (link)
- 1/8” hole punch (link)
- Foam Tape (link)
- Zots™ adhesive dots (link)
- Zips™ adhesive lines (link)
- Black cardstock (link)
- 6 1/2”x5 blank white card (link)
- X-acto® knife, ruler, cutting mat (link)