Designer’s Tip: Layering colored vellum on top of the Color Me™ paper is an easy way to add color to your page. Cut carefully around the edges of the butterflies with an X-acto® knife, then layer them on top of your other page elements to create more dimension. When printing on Color Me™ tags or labels, only use an inkjet printer as opposed to a laser printer—the heat from a laser printer can melt the embossed areas.
- Place your background paper with the large butterfly in the bottom left. Take the Tangerine Gelato and color roughly 3/4” around the edge of the page, avoiding the butterflies. Rub in and smooth out the color by rubbing it with a dry paper towel. Color about 3/4” around the inside of the Tangerine color with Mango. Blend with the paper towel. Repeat this with Lemon, and fill in the remaining area with Buttercream.
- Take your craft sheet and scribble a block about 2” square with Red Cherry. Do the same with Tangerine. Fill your water brush with water and pick up some of the Red Cherry and the Tangerine colors, then paint in the large butterfly. To make the color more saturated, scribble some more of Red Cherry or Tangerine on a dry part of the craft sheet and pick up some more color with your brush. If your brush is too wet, dab it onto a paper towel. Paint the large butterfly so that the parts nearest the body are more red and the edges of the wings are more orange. Paint the remaining 2 butterflies with the outer edges more red and the insides more orange. You can use a regular paintbrush dipped in water as an alternative to the water brush.
- With an X-acto® knife over a cutting mat, carefully cut around the outer edges of the wings on the large butterfly, and around the bottom half of the top right butterfly. Cut a piece of green vellum to an 8 1/2” square. Place the vellum in the center of the page, tilted slightly to the left. Slide the vellum under the cut butterfly edges so that the butterflies appear on top of the vellum. Apply glue to the underside of the butterflies and glue them to the vellum. Use vellum glue dots on the other 2 corners of the green vellum to adhere them to the page.
- Cut 3 1/2” of yellow crepe ribbon and Zot™ the left end 4 3/4” from the top and 2 1/2” from the right. Wrap the right end around to the back of the page and tape in place. Repeat this on the left side of the page.
- Sand the edges of a 4”x6” photo until there is a thin white edge. Mat on black cardstock with a 1/16” border. Glue to page 2 1/4” from the right and bottom. Sand the edges of a 4”x4” photo and mat on black cardstock with a 1/16” border. Glue to page 3” from the top and 2 1/2” from the left.
- Cut around the small rounded label leaving a 1/16” border. Print a caption in the center. Color around the very outside with Red Cherry and blend with a paper towel. Blend in a layer of Tangerine, and color the rest with Buttercream. Blend well, then glue to page 2 1/2” from the top and 3 1/2” from the right.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Color Me™ Double Dipped Papers (link)
- 8 1/2” x 11” Colored Vellum Value Pack (link)
- Fresh Cut Ribbon (link)
- Color Gelatos: Red set 4005686, Yellow set (link)
- Deluxe Water Brush (link)
- Craft Sheet (link)
- Sanding block (link)
- Zots™ adhesive dots (link)
- Vellum Glue Dots (link)
- Clear tape (link)
- Black cardstock (link)
- X-acto® knife & cutting mat (link)
- Paper towel