Designer's Tip: Die cut shapes from Color Me Glossy paper, ink them, then layer contrasting pieces together for a beautiful look. Wax paper helps to keep the paper or cardstock from sticking to the dies and makes it easier to remove the die-cuts. When using two dies nested together, use tape to hold them in place while die-cutting/embossing.
- Place your card with the fold at the left. Cut a 5”x6 1/2" Color Me Glossy flourish paper. Use the applicator to apply blending solution to the paper, then add a few drops of Stonewashed ink to the moistened applicator. Spread the ink over the entire paper for light even color. Moisten the paper towel with blending solution and wipe off the excess ink from the design. Glue the paper even with the card front.
- Open the Nestabilities package and remove the dies from the paper insert. Number the outlined shapes on the insert from large to small, 1-
- Take die #1 and place it with the design side up on your Epic™ Six gray cutting platform. Place a piece of wax paper large enough to cover the die over it, then add a piece of Color Me Glossy Writing paper face down over the wax paper. Cover with the Epic cutting mat and feed through the Epic. Remove the paper from the platform and pop out the die cut. Ink the shape with rust alcohol ink and wipe the excess from the design. Mat on blue cardstock with 1/16” straight borders. Glue to the card front, centered 1/2" from the top.
- Use the #2 die and the Epic to die-cut/emboss Color Me Glossy Butterflies paper, with a small butterfly at the center. Ink the piece with Stonewashed ink, then wipe off the excess. Place the shape on your cutting surface and use your knife to carefully cut around the butterfly wings at the center. Gently lift the butterfly wings and pull them up. Mat the shape on blue cardstock with 1/16” straight borders. Foam tape centered on the first shape on the card front.
- Place a piece of Color Me Glossy Butterflies paper (at least 4” square) facing up. Place wax paper over the paper. Place dies #3 and #4 nested together design side down on the wax paper. Tape the dies in place, then turn it all over and place on the Epic platform. Cover with the Epic cutting mat and feed through. Remove the inside pieces from the die-cut shape. Ink the shape with rust ink and wipe off the excess. Turn the shape on point and glue centered over the layered shapes on the card front. Use the #3 and #4 dies and blue cardstock to die-cut/emboss an additional shape. Remove the flourish pieces from the shape and glue them inside the rust piece on the card front. Reserve the remaining blue shape for the inside.
- Trim the narrow border and small tag from the tags & borders sheet with 1/16” white borders. Ink with rust alcohol ink (including 1/16” borders) and wipe off the excess. Mat the border on blue with 1/16” borders. Glue across the card front 3/8” from the bottom. Glue the tag overlapping the border, 1” from the fold. Cut out the large butterfly and color it with Stonewashed ink. Wipe off the excess and glue angled overlapping the right side of the border. Write or computer print “happy birthday” on white cardstock. Trim to a rectangle and ink the edges with rust ink. Glue to the tag. Tie a navy sheer ribbon bow and Zot to the top of the tag.
- Use die #1 with Color Me Glossy Butterflies paper and die-cut/emboss the shape. Ink the piece with rust ink and wipe off the excess. Glue centered to the inside, 1 1/2" from the bottom. Use die #2 with Color Me Glossy flourish paper and die-cut/emboss the shape. Ink with stonewashed ink and wipe off the excess. Glue centered over the rust shape. Take the reserved blue cardstock shape from step #4 and turn on point. Glue centered over the inked shapes on the inside.
- Use die #5 and Color Me Glossy Butterflies paper to die-cut/emboss the shape, with a small butterfly centered on the shape. Ink the piece with rust ink and wipe off the excess. Glue centered on the blue die-cut shape. Trim remaining small tag from the tags & borders sheet with 1/16” borders. Ink it with Stonewashed ink and wipe off the excess. Glue to the lower right edge of the layered shapes. Write or computer print “to you!” on white cardstock, trim to a rectangle and ink the edges with stonewashed ink. Glue to the tag. Tie a navy bow and Zot to the tag as shown.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Spellbinders Nestabilities® Majestic Elements Marvelous Squares (link)
- Color Me Glossy papers: Writing, Tags & Borders, Butterflies, Flourish (link)
- Batik Ribbons—20” length of 1/4” wide navy sheer ribbon
- 5”x6 1/2" blank white card (link)
- Evolution Universal Craft Tool (link)
- Miner’s Lantern Alcohol Inks (link)
- white cardstock, blue cardstock (link)
- Alcohol Blending Solution (link)
- Alcohol Ink Applicator and Felt (link)
- X-acto® knife, cutting surface (link)
- Zots™ adhesive dots (link)
- foam tape (link)
- stencil tape (link)
- black pen or computer printer (link)
- font: Corinthia Professional
- wax paper
- paper towel