Designer's Tip: You can use a few different kinds of paper for the iris folding to make the design more interesting. I also used silver metallic paper for the lid.
- Cut 5”x6 1/2” of kraft cardstock. Ink the top edge of 5”x2” of red gingham paper with brown ink, and glue across the bottom. Flip the piece over (face down) and trace the jar in the center. Carefully cut out the jar shape with an X-acto® knife and set aside. Use a sponge and brown ink to ink the edges of the jar-shaped opening. Place the opening over the iris folding pattern and secure the cardstock to the template with stencil tape.
- Complete the iris folding on the jar, securing the paper strips on either side of the opening with small pieces of clear tape. Use silver metallic paper for the lid. Use yellow floral paper for the following strips: 1, 2, 16, 20, 24, 28, 31, 34, 37, 18, 22, 26, 30, 33, 36, and 39. Use blue/white ad paper for the following strips: 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 32, 35, and 38. Cover the last center square with silver paper. Remove the piece from the template and turn over to the front. Cut out a heart from red gingham, ink edges, and foam tape to the center of the silver square. Ink all edges of the piece brown.
- Stamp medium and small hearts around the perimeter of the kraft cardstock. Color the medium hearts with Siren red Smooch® ink. Cut “Banner B” from kraft cardstock and ink edges. Place so that the banner is in a u-shape. Place the “Sending you a great big hug” stamp on your acrylic block slightly curved so that it follows the curve of the banner. Stamp it in the center of the banner. Mat the banner on silver, leaving a 1/16” border. Glue to the bottom left of the jar as shown.
- Use an X-acto® knife to cut a small slit on either side of the jar around it’s narrowest part, below the jar lid. Cut 20” of red/white twine and rub a little Tacky Glue on the ends to stiffen them and prevent fraying. Thread the twine through the slits. You can also use a craft pick to widen the holes and help poke the twine through. Tie a bow on the front right as shown. Trim ends and apply a tiny bit of Tacky Glue to the ends. Glue the whole piece to the front of the blank white card, trimming off any excess.
- Inside: Stamp a heart border around the edges as shown. Color in the medium hearts with Siren red Smooch® ink. Take the kraft jar piece from step 1 and ink the edges brown. Cut 2 3/4”x1 1/2” of yellow floral and ink the top edge. Glue to the base of the jar and trim excess. Ink the edges of a 2 3/4”x1/2” strip of red gingham and glue across the jar 3/4” from the bottom. Ink the remaining edges brown. Stamp “With Love & Caring above the patterned paper on the jar. Glue twine across the top of the jar and add a bow. Glue the jar to the center.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Iris Folding #2 Template (link)
- Tiny Tags & Little Labels Template (link)
- Home Grown Paper Pack (link)
- Silver metallic paper (link)
- Kraft cardstock (link)
- Heartfelt Greetings Stamp Set (link)
- Siren Smooch® Ink (link)
- Tomato Red Twine (link)
- Timber Brown StazOn® ink pad (link)
- Acrylic block (link)
- Cosmetic sponges
- 5”x6 1/2” blank white card (link)
- X-acto® knife (link)
- Craft pick (link)
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue (link)
- Foam tape (link)
- Stencil tape (link)
- Clear tape (link)