“Emily, age 7”
By LeNae Gerig
Designer’s Tip: Zipper flowers are best assembled using a glue gun.
- Zipper Flowers: Separate the zippers into 2 pieces. For the pink flower center, fold down one end of one white zipper side, glue and roll the entire length into a coil. Glue the end to secure.
- For the petals: Cut the pink zipper into eight 3” lengths. With the zipper edge at the top, make a loop and glue the ends together and overlapping. Glue 2 petals together, end-to-end. Glue 2 more petals end to end under the first 2 to form an “x”. Glue the white-coiled center to the center of the “x.” Glue the remaining 4 petals between the “x” petals, gluing to the bottom of the flower.
- For the blue flower: Cut a 9” length of blue zipper. Coil and glue. Cut the remaining blue zipper into five 3” lengths. Form into petals and 5 evenly spaced around the bottom of the coil.
- Mat a 10” x 9” piece of yellow floral paper on 3 sides with white cardstock, leaving a 1/8” border. Glue flush with the right side of the pink floral paper.
- Mat two 3 1/2” x5” photos with aqua paper, leaving 1/8” borders. Glue, at an angle, to the center of the yellow paper. Use the glue gun to glue the two zipper flowers to the bottom left corner of the yellow paper.
- Use glue stick to glue pink floral paper to one side of the chipboard hanger. Use the knife to cut around the edges. Lightly sand the edges to soften the edges. Write on a 1 3/4” piece of white paper and wrap around the hanger. Glue a 1 3/4” x1/4” piece of blue gingham paper along the bottom edge. Tie a length of Baker’s Twine around the hanger and glue hanger to the top right corner of the yellow floral paper.
- Place the chipboard scissors on scrap paper and blot the scissor ends with silver ink. Blot the handle ends with Sea Crystal. Make a tag from a white strip of paper by clipping the corners off of one end. Punch a hole and thread with twine. Knot around the scissor handles. Glue scissors and tag to the top right corner of the yellow floral paper.
- Place buttons on the scrap paper and blot 3 large and 1 small wood button silver and 1 large with Sea Crystal ink. Let dry and thread with twine. Knot the ends at the top of the button and trim tails. Glue the buttons around the flowers and 1 next to the hanger.