Technique: simple holiday card
Style: fast and fabulous
Designer: LeNae Gerig
LeNaes Tip: For a classic holiday color combination thats simple and elegant, try green and gold. Ive combined green and gold striped paper with a green and gold poinsettia pattern, plus a torn strip of vellum and a simple tag. Notice how the vellum strip acts as a mat or buffer between the two patterns so they dont competeand how the torn edge of the vellum softens all the vertical lines.
How to make LeNaes card:
- Place the card with the fold on the left side. Cover the card front with green and gold striped paper: Apply adhesive along all four sides of the card front then attach the paper, aligning two sides. Smooth the paper down, turn the card over and trim excess paper.
- Tear a 2 3/4x6 1/2 strip of white vellum and cut a 1 1/2x6 1/2 strip of green poinsettia paper. Glue the poinsettia strip on top of the vellum strip, then glue both to the card front as shown. Tip: Apply the adhesive to the backside of the vellum strip only where the green poinsettia will hide it.
- Attach two lengths of ribbon centered on the poinsettia paper. There are two ways to do this: First, you can tie the ribbons around the card front, then tie the tag on as shown. Second, you could glue the ribbons along the center of the card, tucking the ends underneath the poinsettia strip.
- Cut out the tag and attach an eyelet in the top. Tie the tag to the ribbons on the card. Thread the pony beads on two ribbons, then knot the ends of each ribbon. Attach a holiday and wishes fragment over the ribbons with foam tape.
- For the inside: Cover the inside with green stamp pad paper. Cut a 1x6 1/2 strip of poinsettia paper and glue it to the inside as shown. Cut out the quote, chalk the words and glue it overlapping the poinsettia paper. Cut out the tag and attach it to the quote with a brad and pinwheel.
Card reprinted from The Cardmakers Idea Book.