Best Friend Card
By Susan Cobb
Designer’s Tip: Emboss the snowflakes design on a piece of acetate with the embossing folder, then add Picket Fence Distress Paint onto the back of the acetate to highlight the embossed design. Create beautiful die-cuts from this acetate, and heat emboss them with embossing powders for a beautiful card focal. When adding embellishments on an acetate card front, you may wish to repeat these elements on the back of the acetate inside, to hide the adhesive.
- Cut a 6”x6 1/2" piece of acetate. Use the dull side of your knife blade to score a line down the acetate, 1” from the left side. Place the embossing folder on your embossing plate with the hinge at the right. With the scored edge on the left, place the acetate in the embossing folder so the scored edge and top align with the left and top edges of the embossed design inside the folder. You will have a little excess space on the right inside the folder. Run the sandwich through your machine following your machine manufacturer’s instructions. Carefully remove the acetate from the folder. Now align the bottom edge of the embossed acetate with the top edge of the embossed design on the folder, and again at the left with the scored edge. Run through your machine.
- Turn over your embossed acetate and place on your work surface with the debossed side facing up. Shake the Distress Paint and use your finger to rub the paint into the embossed areas, over the entire design. Let dry 2-3 minutes. Now take the dry paper towel and rub over the design to remove the excess paint, being sure to use clean areas of the paper towel as you’re working (if the paint doesn’t come off easily, dampen the paper towel slightly).
- Cut the blank white card in half at the fold. Place 1 piece vertically on your table. Take your embossed acetate and fold the scored edge under, creasing the fold flat with your fingers or bone folder. Place Ultra Clear tape on the left edge of the white card. Now align the fold of the acetate with the left edge of the card, so the folded area is fixed to the card and the embossed acetate overlaps it.
- Lightly fold back the embossed acetate. Cover the white card and the 1” folded edge of the acetate with powder blue suede paper, trimming edges evenly with the card. Cut a 4 1/2"x6” iris suede paper and tape it centered on the powder blue suede. Fold the acetate card front over the suede inside.
- Cut a 5”x3/4” powder blue suede and mat on white (use the remaining piece of card) with 1/16” borders. Glue white fancy trim along the bottom edge of the suede. Tape across the acetate card front, 2 1/4" from the bottom.
- Die cut one of each size snowflake with acetate, using the 3 Snowflakes Cutting Dies and your die cutting machine. Ink the large and tiny snowflakes with VersaMark™ ink, then sprinkle with white embossing powder and shake off the excess. Use the heat gun to emboss. Repeat for the medium snowflake, using Frost embossing powder. Layer the snowflakes together with foam tape. Foam tape overlapping the suede strip as shown.
- Use the template to trace a Squared Tag C shape on powder blue suede. Cut it out and mat on white with 1/16” borders. Tape near the upper left corner of the card. Place “Best Friend” Dazzles™ on the tag as shown. Tie a bow with white cord and Zot™ on the top of the tag. Embellish the embossed acetate and snowflakes with Jewel Dazzles™ as shown.