Glass Etching For The Holidays

Hi everyone! Do you remember Glass Etching from years ago? I sure do…lots of it on mirrors for some reason. Today I’m bringing you a NEW and better version, just in time to brighten your holiday home!

This frosted glass method gives the impression of actual glass etching that you can do at home in less than half an hour!

This Christmas themed Rustic Window would look pretty hanging it a kitchen window and it’s so easy to do!

Place Christmas Wonder Dazzles™ Stickers on the glass, while still in the frame, in order to get the placement correct. It is very important that all of the stickers are adhered well and make contact with the glass, or etching cream can sneak underneath. Remove the glass from the frame.

After stirring, place a generous amount of Armour Etch Glass Etching Cream onto the glass, over the Dazzles™ stickers. The cream can leave patterns on the glass from application, therefore; try to avoid round swirling motions and instead apply the cream in straight lines across the glass. I found success by increasing the drying time to 10-15 minutes.

Place the glass in the sink and gently wash away the etching cream. Remove the Dazzles™ stickers and blot the glass dry with paper towels.

Place the glass inside the frame and fold the metal brackets down. For additional security, I used hot glue on the corners.

I glued Red Petaloo Botanica Blooms to the top of the window frame and loops of Red Velvet Shimmer Ribbon (Hooray! Now available in 10 yard lengths, per a customer request!) among the flowers and leaves. Place Christmas Wonder Scrapbooking Dazzles™ Stickers swirls and tiny snowflakes next to the flowers and directly onto the leaves. Embellish the etched holly and ornaments with dots of Red Stickles™ Glitter Glue and let dry.

This holly ornament uses the same process as the window.

Place the Stenciling Dazzles™ Stickers and apply Armour Etch Glass Etching Cream to the surface.

Rinse and remove the Dazzles™ sticker. After the ornament is completely dry, add Red Velvet Shimmer Ribbon and dots of Red Stickles™ Glitter Glue to the holly berries and let dry.

This ornament uses a snowflake from Silver Stenciling Dazzles™ Stickers as a mask placed on the ornament before the Glass Etching Cream is applied. After cleaning the glass, the “innie” pieces from the snowflake Dazzles™ sticker and Purple Jewel Dazzles™ Stickers were used as embellishment.

That’s all for today. The holidays are such a busy time, but please try and leave some time to relax and make something pretty for a friend or just for you! Happy Crafting!

LeNae Gerig

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

9 Responses to “Glass Etching For The Holidays”

1. Beverly VanderWerf says:

Dear LaNae,
    You have really out done yourself on these etchings! You have made it
    Look easy enough for me try this. I just love the beautiful detail from the
    Dazzles. Thank you for always sparking my imagination and creative
    Spirit. Well done!!

2. Faye Thompson says:

Wonderful! Can’t wait to try this. Thank you for the ideas.

3. Jana says:

Hello LaNae!
    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful and clever idea!
    I have so many Dazzles, I have wondered if I would ever use them all in my lifetime. 🙂
    Paper Wishes sticky little treasures deserves to be used in so many ways.
    And now with this Glass Etching tutorial, I am inspired to use Dazzles in a more creative fashion besides mixed media, card and tag making!
    Blessings to you and yours with the Holidays upon us!

4. Marie says:

I do remember etching and have a set of crystal glasses with etched humming birds. They were very expensive and your etching is just as beautiful.

5. Debbie says:

Beautiful ornaments and technique!
    Are the Stenciling Dazzles the same as Dazzles?
    Thanks for the inspiration and info.

• LeNae Gerig says:

Hi Debbie, yes the Stencil Dazzles™ Stickers are regular Dazzles™, but they were designed to leave an attractive negative space when removed.
      LeNae

6. Patricia Wilson says:

I love this technique and your tutorial was so informative. I want to try it.

7. Karla Bostic says:

If you have a mirror that cant come out of the frame, can you still use the etching cream? Will it hurt wood or plastic?

• LeNae Gerig says:

Hi Karla, yes you can use the Etching Cream on mirrors. It would not be a good idea to expose wood or plastic to the cream.
      LeNae