paper wishes logo upper right controls
Paper Wishes Scrapbooking & Paper Crafting Forum

Go Back   Paper Wishes Scrapbooking & Paper Crafting Forum > OTHER TOPICS > Hints & Tips

Old 01-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Webisode Watcher

Default Organizing in 2016

I'm with you Daria; just not ready to re-organize yet. I got a late start on my Christmas Cards and my craft room looks like a hurricane came blowing through. lol.
I've been away from PW MB for a while, but now I'm back. Looking forward to a great 2016 year.
Suzanne
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzanne For This Useful Post:
LindaH61 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Swap Organizer

Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,012 Posts

Welcome back Suzanne! Just in time for a new year of activities.

I am finally getting my stamp catalog up to date. I have one company I have been buying from regularly for about a year and have never put any of their stamps/dies into my storage system. I find doing this relaxing, so it is fun. I'm embarassed to admit my 4" 3 ring binder is getting pretty full though. It does have 2 different sections though, in my defense. The first section is stamps by company and the second is stamps by theme. I've also been making it a practice to check off the stamp set in the company section once I use it. Trying to keep myself accountable! For the most part I do pretty well since I tend not to put them away until I do use them. Made me realize my Use all my PW stamp personal challenge needs to be brought up to date!

I'm trying to decide if I want/need some kind of die catalog. For my stamps with dies, they are stored together in the cd/vhs cases. It is mostly the stand alone dies I'm thinking about although dies with stamps can often be used alone as well. As an example, I probably have 4-5 different thanks or thank you dies, including 1 in a stamp set. I end up using whichever I come across first. Does anyone catalog their dies the way I'm talking about or do I just have too many?

For my distress inks I punched 1 1/2" circles and colored them from the ink pad and they are on a jump ring. I did the same thing when I bought an entire line of cardstock. It made it easier for me to match colors. I also have a bunch of inks from various places like Linda mentioned, but I've never thought of swatches for them. I just kind of go with whatever medium I decide to color with and the "close enough" rule! Could explain why I never got published back in the day when I used to submit cards to magazines (back when there were magazines).
The Following User Says Thank You to pennyd For This Useful Post:
LindaH61 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Die-Cut Diva

Thanked 3,415 Times in 2,512 Posts

Penny, I have been working up to a die index too. As I use a die, I am punching an extra of each shape, and putting it in the storage case with the die; on a second round, I also started punching smaller dies out of 3M Sticky Note paper to make masks and store them in the case also. ONE DAY, if I decide to do an index, I will not only be able to see the dies I use most, but also the ones I have never used (red-faced)...

What I REALLY like about the index ideas is that I can combine companies' products to see all my nature, words, etc... but store them segregated so I can identify what I am actually using. I think Penny's stamp catalog jump started that thinking for me. Thanks, Penny!

"Laughter is an instant vacation". Milton Berle
The Following User Says Thank You to LindaH61 For This Useful Post:
pennyd (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Master Crafter

Thanked 5,736 Times in 4,743 Posts

Well, I'm glad to say that my stamp catalog it up to date!

I'm still trying to figure out a good way to store my cutting dies that have stamps with them. Right now each set is in a zip lock bag in a shoe box. I don't have all that many but even now I'm finding it time consuming to weed through them to find the one I'm looking for.

I craft so hard I sweat glitter!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:33 AM
Webisode Watcher

Daria, This is what works for me,with my dies and stamp sets I use Page Protectors. I have a Fuse but the sewing machine maybe tape would work. I make a second pocket. I put a cutting mat in the protector measure the size (easy because of lines on mat) then make my second pocket with a piece of protector facing at the bottom.Close with Velcore dots. Like I said before I cut poster broad and use magnetic tape for storing my dies and leave my stamps on the acetate it comes on. I store these in a note book. I got a large amount of these at the $$$ store . Looks good on the shelf.

Ya got milk?
Cookeee
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookeee For This Useful Post:
bbcmom (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Webisode Watcher

Ho, by the way I use a notebook with a zipper if I'm taking things in Page Protector anywhere.

Ya got milk?
Cookeee
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookeee For This Useful Post:
bbcmom (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Swap Organizer

Wanda, can you post a pic of your page protector system? I can't picture it in my head.
It sounds like your sets aren't together? That's what I wanted to avoid by putting magnet sheets in my cd cases the stamps and dies are a unit. For some reason the only ones I hadn't done that with was PW and probably because they didn't release them together. I have the flower frenzy and labels. It has been a pain to go two different places to use them so I finally put them together yesterday.

Linda, you jogged my memory that I had made extras of dies so I think I will catalog them the same way I do stamps. I'm not afraid to mix companies so I use the theme section quite a lot and I'm really glad I took the time to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to pennyd For This Useful Post:
LindaH61 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Webisode Watcher

I'll try again. I lost that link you sent me. Can you send it again? Please. The dies are at the bottom of the page with the flap with velcor and the stamps are on top of the same page.

Ya got milk?
Cookeee
Old 01-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Swap Organizer

Now I get it, thanks for explaining it. What link do you need?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:44 PM
Paper Addict

Well, today I organized as I put my Christmas card making stuff away. In the process I found a whole box of my Halloween stuff for cards. I KNEW I had more Dazzles and stuff than I could find last Halloween!!! I also found a horrific amount of brad buddies. I will never use them but I hold on to them thinking that I will because they are cute. I will never use them. I hope I find my Christmas stamps next year. Incase I don't some one tell me that they are under the desk...thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to live4paper For This Useful Post:
LindaH61 (01-04-2016)