paper wishes logo upper right controls
Paper Wishes Scrapbooking & Paper Crafting Forum

Go Back   Paper Wishes Scrapbooking & Paper Crafting Forum > Personal Shopper > Premiere Cutting Dies

Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Dazzle Dreamer

Default HOTP Cutting Dies - Sandwiches List

I thought it would be a good idea to have a list of sandwiches for the different manufacturers of die cutting machines. I have the cuttlebug and will start to experiment tonight after dinner so I will post my findings. Obviously if anyone out who already know the best sandwich for the Cuttlebug, Sizzix, Fiskars, Spellbinders and other makes I probably forgotten please post your findings I'll edit the list accordingly.

Provocraft Cuttlebug :

From bottom going up A plate + thin cardboard shim + C plate + die face up + B Plate (try without the shim first just in case it works for you then increase shims thickness being extra careful)

E-bosser:

From the bottom: Plates D, C, B, magnetic mat, die - cutting side up, paper - right side down, metal shim, A plate.

Sizzix BigShot :

Untested with HOTP dies but read Cheryl sandwich that work for your average die here

Fiskars Fuse :

Base plate, Shim A, the die (s), rubber mat, cutting plate: I found this worked the FIRST TIME with ONE PASS using the adapter kit designed for this purpose. I tried combos with and without the rubber mat - it IS the difference to a single pass.

Spellbinders Grand Caliber :

Untested with HOTP dies but read Cheryl sandwich that work for your average die here

Last edited by fabyon; 02-20-2013 at 09:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fabyon For This Useful Post:
LindaH61 (08-19-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Dazzle Dreamer

Got out of my winter blues and started plyaing with the bodacious blooms this evening just before dinner (brisket and brussel sprouts lol). I figured out the sandwich for the Cuttlebug and updated my first post with it, if you have any other die-cutting machine and you know the sandwich please post it here, you'll help the others without having to go through trial and tribulations ! lol

From bottom going up A plate + thin cardboard shim + C plate + die face up + B Plate (try without the shim first just in case it works for you then increase shims thickness being extra careful)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Die-Cut Diva

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,177 Posts

I don't have the PW dies yet, but I expect they would be the same sandwich as Spellbinder's dies or similar thin metal dies. Assuming that is the case, I can give you the sandwiches

For Cutting with:
  • Big Shot: Multipurpose Platform all the way closed + first cutting plate + die with cut edges up + paper, cardstock, etc (right side facing down) + second cutting plate
  • Grand Caliber: A-Base Plate (grey) + Die with cutting edge UP + Paper, cardstock, craft foil, etc. (right side facing DOWN) + C-Cutting Plate (white)
I don't know if the PW dies also do embossing, but if they do, I would expect to use the following for embossing with:
  • Big Shot: Multipurpose Platform with first flap up, exposing tab 1 + cutting plate + die with cut edges up + paper, cardstock, etc (right side facing down) + silicone rubber embossing pad + hard black plate
  • Grand Caliber: A-Base Plate (grey) + Die with cutting edge UP + Paper, cardstock, craft foil, etc. (right side facing DOWN) + tan embossing pad + B-Embossing Plate (pink)

My Pinterest pages:
https://www.pinterest.com/Cher2Inspire/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheryl For This Useful Post:
fabyon (01-21-2013), KarenH (01-22-2013), LindaH61 (08-19-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Webisode Watcher

Default Shimming and Cuttle bug with the new dies

Okay I am having trouble getting the right shim thickness to make it through medium weight craft paper (not card stock) to make sturdier flowers.

I have a cuttle bug - LOVE IT.

I have tried the following combos with the large flower die

APlate - die - paper - Cplate - Bplate (run through twice)

APlate - CPlate - paper - die - Bplate (run through twice)

APlate - CPlate - die - paper - Bplate (run through twice)

Aplate - rubber mat - die - paper - Bplate - card stock shim - Bplate

(and a few more combos)

the tiny little cuts to make the flower petal stand out just won't completely cut through the paper.

I also tried light weight paper (stuff I cover my cards with) and it too is not completely cutting through.

HELP!?

http://www.vampkitty.com
http://etsy.vampkittydesigns.com
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Die-Cut Diva

Thanked 3,088 Times in 2,659 Posts

I used A Plate, C plate, die (cut side up), paper, B Plate, a piece of cardstock, run through forward and back then turn the die & paper 45 degrees and run back and forth again. Depending on how thick the paper is that I'm running through I have had to do another run through. The largest die is the hardest, the rest of them do pretty good. The two smallest ones I just run through once and don't have to turn the dies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol J For This Useful Post:
Sanditiger (02-20-2013), Vampkitty Designs (01-26-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Paper Addict

I have a cuttlebug and haven't had a problem with the Bodacious Blooms if I run them through forward and backward, but with some of the other thinner dies, this sandwich has worked:
A plate
Paper shim made from card stock (cut to the same size as the A plate)
C plate
die (cutting side up)
Paper
B plate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JudyH For This Useful Post:
fabyon (01-26-2013), Vampkitty Designs (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Dazzle Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I don't have the PW dies yet, but I expect they would be the same sandwich as Spellbinder's dies or similar thin metal dies. Assuming that is the case, I can give you the sandwiches

For Cutting with:
  • Big Shot: Multipurpose Platform all the way closed + first cutting plate + die with cut edges up + paper, cardstock, etc (right side facing down) + second cutting plate
  • Grand Caliber: A-Base Plate (grey) + Die with cutting edge UP + Paper, cardstock, craft foil, etc. (right side facing DOWN) + C-Cutting Plate (white)
I don't know if the PW dies also do embossing, but if they do, I would expect to use the following for embossing with:
  • Big Shot: Multipurpose Platform with first flap up, exposing tab 1 + cutting plate + die with cut edges up + paper, cardstock, etc (right side facing down) + silicone rubber embossing pad + hard black plate
  • Grand Caliber: A-Base Plate (grey) + Die with cutting edge UP + Paper, cardstock, craft foil, etc. (right side facing DOWN) + tan embossing pad + B-Embossing Plate (pink)

Thanks Cheryl, I won't put them up on the first post until someone has tried it but thank you that's very helpful !
The Following User Says Thank You to fabyon For This Useful Post:
LindaH61 (08-19-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Swap Organizer

Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,012 Posts

E-bosser - From the bottom: Plates D, C, B, magnetic mat, die - cutting side up, paper - right side down, metal shim, A plate.
I found I need the metal shim to get a good cut the first time.
The Following User Says Thank You to pennyd For This Useful Post:
fabyon (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Webisode Watcher

Sorry I somehow missed that thread.

http://www.vampkitty.com
http://etsy.vampkittydesigns.com
Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Dazzle Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampkitty Designs View Post
Sorry I somehow missed that thread.
I miss threads all the time, no worries please !