Technique: Blending Colors with Spectrum Noir pens
The fine tips on Spectrum Noir pens make it easy to color the images and frames on the Color Me™ toppers. To shade the flowers, I usually choose two or three shades of one color; for these flowers I used two colors. Start by coloring the flower with the lightest shade, covering just one or two petals at a time so they don't dry out before you have a chance to do the shading. Now use the dark pen to color just where shading would be—in the centers, petal edges, etc. Use the light pen to blend the two colors together, coloring where the two shades meet. For more subtle coloring, use pens very close to the same shade, or blend three shades together. The shading on the inside is done in the same manner, just in streaks across the paper.
- For the card front: Turn the card with the fold at the top. On the Floral card topper, follow the blending directions above to color the large flowers with PL2, shading with LV2. Color the small flowers with CT2 and shade with CT4. Color the leaves with DG2 and shade with DG4. Color the text area PP1 and both framing outlines with LV1. When dry, glue to the card front, then cut along the lower curved edge through both layers.
- Cut out the 3 1/4" Floral “today is your day” label. Color the flower and leaf as for the topper. Color the outer frame with PL4, the inner frame with LV3, and the center area with LV1. Foam tape to the front as shown. Cut out a Floral small flower and color as for the label flower, then foam tape to the label at the lower right. Place green rhinestones on the yellow flowers.
- For the inside: Cut 6 1/2"x3 1/2" purple suede paper and punch a border along the lower long edge. Cut a 7"x 1/2" pink suede paper strip and weave through the slits. Glue the ends in place and trim the excess. Glue the suede to the inside with the scalloped edge extending off the lower edge.
- Use the bracket cutaway template to cut Ebony Flowers paper, trimming the long straight edge to make it 6 1/2"x3 3/4". Use the purple pens to color, starting with LV2 along the long upper straight edge. Blend PL5 into it through the center area, then blend in PL4 along the lower curving edge. Mat the lower curving edge on cardstock with a 1/16" border and glue inside along the fold.
- Cut a text stripe from the Ebony Stripes paper, including the scalloped edge, and color with LV1. Glue along the fold as shown. Cut out the Floral “happy happy birthday” label. Color the center CT2, the text area PL2, and the outer frame PL5. Foam tape to the inside and place rhinestones as shown.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Floral Ebony Color Me™ Card Toppers (link)
- Ebony Color Me™ papers: Stripes (link), Flowers (link)
- Suede paper: Violet (link), Azalea (link)
- Spring Fling Rhinestones (link)
- Spectrum Noir Pen Sets: Purples (link), Yellows (link), Skin Tones (link), Greens (link)
- Design Tool Kit #1 (link)
- Lever Border Punch System & Ribbon Stitch Cartridge (link)
- Foam tape (link)
- Adhesive (link)
- 5"x6½" white card & matching envelope (link)