Designer Tip: When using the Spectrum Noir pens, it’s easy to create depth in your designs by shading. I just shaded the leaves and berries, but you could shade the lines and background as well, adding a slightly darker pen color near the leaves. It’s best to color one small section at a time so you can shade while the ink is still wet. For easy 2-color shading, begin by coloring the area with a light pen shade. Now go in with the darker pen and color where shadows would fall on your object. Don’t color too much—you can always go back and add more if it ends up too light. While it’s still wet, use the light shade again to blend the two colors together, eliminating harsh lines.
- For the card front: Turn the card with the fold at the top and cover the front with suede paper. Cut 6¼"x4¾" Christmas Lace green snowflakes paper and glue centered on the front. Cut out the Color Me™ shaped holly topper. Color the leaves with DG2 and shade with DG4. (See the Designer's Tip, above, for shading instructions.) Color the berries with DR5 and shade with DR7. Color the border with TB9. Cut 1½" off the long straight edge and set aside.
- Turn the topper with the curving edge at the top and mat that edge on suede paper with a 1/16" border. Cut a 6½"x1¾" suede paper and punch both long edges. Glue along the straight edge of the topper, then glue ribbon across it, gluing the ends to the back. Place tape on the topper back bottom and side edges, then attach to the card, ¾" from the top, creating a pocket. Place three pearls on the right ribbon end.
- Cut out the Color Me™ blank holly label and stamp “may your Christmas…” in it. Color the holly as for the topper and the lacy frame with TB9. Color the inner and outer lines with DR7, then Foam tape to the front as shown. Make a bow with four loops and tie the center with thread. Glue to the label at the lower left, then secure the button to the bow center with tape. Make a thread bow and glue to the button center.
- For the inside: Glue the remaining topper section along the lower edge. Cut 6½"x2¼" Christmas lace green snowflakes paper. Punch a 6½"x1" suede paper border and glue as the mat behind the upper edge. Glue the paper to the inside, just above the topper section. Punch a suede paper strip as described in step 2 and glue over the lower paper edge. Cut out the Color Me™ striped blank label and stamp “season’s greetings” on it. Color the outer edge with TB9, then Foam tape to the center and place pearls as shown.
Supplies: (Find these supplies and more at www.paperwishes.com)
- Color Me™ Silver Holly Card Toppers (link)
- Christmas Lace Double-Sided Paper Pack (link)
- Forest Suede paper (link)
- Christmas Greetings stamp set (link)
- 20" of ¼" wide maroon/ivory gingham ribbon (link)
- Dark red embroidery thread
- ⅝" green button (link)
- 3mm silver pearl stickers (link)
- Spectrum Noir pen sets: Red (link), Green (link), Blue (link)
- Victorian Border Geared punch (link)
- StazOn® Jet Black ink pad (link)
- Acrylic Stamping Blocks (link)
- ¼" Ultra Clear tape (link)
- Foam tape squares (link)
- Adhesive (link)
- 5"x6½" white card & matching envelope (link)