Card Style: Locking Tri-Fold
When this landscape style tri-fold card is closed, it locks by the ends of a label that are folded and inserted up through a slit in the upper panel. The locking label ends then fold down over the front and become part of the design. The only trick is to make sure the slit is wide enough to accommodate the center section of the folded label and the ends. If you find the label doesn’t lie flat, cut the slit a bit wider on each side. This version of the Locking Tri-Fold card is a bit different than those on the DVD; the locking mechanisms on the DVD cards are actually cut from the lower card flap, folded, and inserted up through the slit.
- Robin’s Red Double-Sided Paper Pack (link)
- Robin’s Red Die-Cuts (link)
- Gray cardstock
- Decorative Card Flaps stamp set (link)
- Card Flaps & Borders cutting die set (link)
- Silver Jewel Border Dazzles™ (link)
- 22" of ¼" wide metallic silver ribbon (link)
- Gray or black embroidery thread
- Red Bling rhinestones (link)
- Jet Black StazOn® ink pad (link)
- Acrylic stamping block (link)
- Die cutting machine (link)
- Retractable craft pen knife (link)
- Ruler (link)
- Self-healing cutting mat (link)
- Scoring tool (link)
- Removable tape
- ¼" wide Extra Sticky double-sided tape (link)
- Foam tape (link)
- Adhesive (link)
- For the card: Trace and cut the card base pattern shown below from cardstock, securing the dies to the cardstock with the removable tape to die cut the flap edges. Score on the dashed lines, but don’t cut the slit in the front flap yet.
- For the upper front flap: Trace and cut the upper flap paper pattern shown below from Robin’s Red red checks paper. Stamp the coordinating edge on it, then glue the paper centered on the front flap. Cut 5⅞"x1" Robin’s Red gray tapestry paper and mat the long edges on cardstock with 1/16" borders.
- Place a border Dazzles™ on the gray strip near the lower edge as shown. Wrap a 7" ribbon across the strip near the upper edge and glue the ends to the back. Glue the strip to the front flap, ¼" from the fold. Transfer the slit from the pattern to the front and use the knife and ruler on the cutting mat to cut the slit.
- Cut a 2" ribbon and set aside, then use the remainder to make a 4-loop bow, tying the center with thread. Glue to the first ribbon, 1½" from the left edge. Punch out the Robin’s Red flower die-cut shown and remove the nibs. Use tape to secure to the bow center, then place a rhinestone in the flower center.
- For the lower front flap: Trace and cut the lower flap paper pattern shown below from Robin’s Red gray tapestry paper. Stamp the matching edge image along the top and the corner design in the lower corners. Place a border Dazzles™ along the lower edge, trimming the excess, then glue the paper centered on the lower flap.
- Punch out the ticket label die-cut and remove the nibs. Find the center, then score the label 1/16" on each side of the center. Fold the ends upward. Cut a ⅛"x1" double-sided tape, then place on the back of the scored center. Close the upper front card flap over the lower flap, then attach the label to the lower flap through the slit.
- For the inside: Cut 5⅞"x4⅛" Robin’s Red blue tapestry paper and glue to the inside center. Place border Dazzles™ near the upper and lower edges of the paper, trimming the excess.
- Punch out the Robin’s Red die-cuts shown and remove the nibs. Stamp “birthday wishes” in the center of the blue/red label. Cut the blue flourish in half, then glue the label centered on the inside with the flourish halves extending from under the edges as shown.
- Thread the 2" ribbon from step 4 onto the button die-cut, then use double-sided tape to attach to the label at the lower right. Foam tape the heart at the upper left and place rhinestones as shown.