Ribbon Technique: Looped Ribbon Accent & Ribbon Backgrounds
The ribbon banner on this card has been looped, creating a lovely border of texture under the focal. I started by placing a length of double-sided tape across the card where the banner would be created. Then I measured how much space was needed for the focal label and began making my loops just left of that measurement. Although I added tape under each loop so it laid to the left, I did not add tape inside the loops so they would remain puffy. On the inside, I knotted one end of three different ribbons, then wrapped them across the paper to create a textured background under the sentiment.
- Little Birdies Artful Card Kit (link)
- Little Birdies ribbon set (link)
- Pink embroidery thread
- Cotton Candy Embellishment Jar (link)
- ¼" wide Extra Sticky double-sided tape (link)
- Specialist Acrylic glue (link)
- Foam tape (link)
- Adhesive (link)
- 5"x6½" white card & envelope (link)
- For the card front: Turn the card with the fold at the top. Cut 6⅜"x4⅞" Little Birdies ivory/pink paper and 6⅜"x1½" pink pindot paper. Glue the dot paper to the ivory paper, ¾" from the bottom.
- Cut a 13" pink grosgrain ribbon, then notch one end. Tie the ribbon with thread, 1½" from the notched end. Place double-sided tape across the center of the dotted paper. Place the ribbon onto the right end of the dotted strip, allowing the notched end to extend ¾" past the card edge.
- Starting 3½" from the right card edge, follow the directions above to make five ½" ribbon loops across the left end of the strip. Wrap and glue the ribbon end to the back of the paper, then glue the paper centered on the card front.
- Punch out the bird cage label and “celebrating you” die-cuts and remove the nibs. Foam tape the label near the right edge as shown. Thread a ¾" button, then glue it over the ribbon and label edge on the right. Foam tape the tag extending from under the button, then tie a thread shoestring bow and glue to the button.
- Punch out the flower, flourish, and small circle die-cuts shown and remove the nibs. Glue the flourish in the upper left corner, then foam tape the flowers as shown. Glue pearls to the large flower centers.
- For the inside: Cut 6½"x3" Little Birdies pink tiles paper and mat the long edges on Little Birdies black tiles paper with ¼" borders. Punch out the black border die-cut and remove the nibs. Cut a 6" length of the border and glue to the pink paper, extending from the left edge, ¾" from the bottom.
- Cut a 7½" blue ribbon, 6½" lavender ribbon, and 6" black ribbon. Knot one end of each ribbon, then use double-sided tape to attach the knots to the border and the pink paper as shown. Wrap and glue the ends to the back, then glue the paper centered on the inside.
- Punch out the remaining die-cuts shown and remove the nibs. Foam tape the sentiment over the ribbons, ¾" from the left edge. Glue the flourish to the pink paper in the upper right corner. Thread a 3" blue ribbon onto the button die-cut, cross the ribbons on the back, then foam tape it to the flourish as shown.