Designer’s Tip: Blendable pencils are fun and easy to use—especially since you can erase any errors! I found that keeping the pencils sharp helped me stay within the lines while coloring. To blend the colors, just dip one end of a stump into the blending solution and rub it over the colored areas. Blend each color at once, then clean your stump by sanding the tip before moving to another color. The belly band for this card is optional; I made it as a way to secure the card for mailing. This card looks great standing open on display.
- For the card & pop-up section: Cut 10"x6½" black cardstock and place horizontally. Fold the ends in to meet in the center, creating a gatefold card. Cut 8"x6½" black cardstock and place horizontally. Score at ½", 1½", and 2½" from each end. Crease the two outer scores on each end in mountain folds and the two remaining scores in valley folds.
- Turn the scored piece over and place double-sided tape along the edges and folds of the center section. Measure to find the center of the scored piece and mark at the top and bottom edges. Open the card and mark the center at the top and bottom edges. Attach the scored piece to the card inside, aligning the upper and lower edges, and matching the centers.
- Place double-sided tape along the fold edges of the two outer flaps. Press one pop-up section toward the center on the inner score line and remove the tape backing from the flap. Close the card front over the tape and press to secure. Repeat on the other side to secure the second pop-up section. Close the card.
- For the front: Cut two 2⅜"x6⅜" Mirage red/black tiles papers. Cut four 2⅜"x½" Mirage red papers and mat the long edges of each on black cardstock with 1/16" borders. Glue the strips to the front papers, ¼" from the upper and lower edges. Cut a Dazzles™ border into four 2⅜" sections and place on the strips as shown. Glue the papers centered on the front panels.
- For the inside: Cut four ⅞"x6⅜" Mirage red/black tiles papers and glue one to each of the narrow side panels. Cut two Dazzles™ scalloped borders to 6⅜" and place on the outer narrow panels as shown. Cut 2⅞"x6⅜" mirage red paper and glue centered on the middle panel. Cut two Dazzles™ diamond borders to 6⅜" and place near the outer edges of the red paper.
- Stamp the dog and “hope your day…” on 2⅜"x1⅞" white cardstock and the cat on 1⅛"x1½" white cardstock. Use the pencils to color the cat in tones of yellow and orange with a red and burgundy bow. Lightly color around the cat’s feet with brown, then use the stumps and blending solution to blend the pencil strokes.
- Color the dog in brown tones with a red bow, then color around his feet with brown. Blend the colors, then mat both the cat and dog on black cardstock with 1/16" borders. Glue to the inside as shown. Close the card.
- For the belly band: Cut 11"x1" black cardstock and mark the center. Place it over the center back of the closed card, then wrap the ends loosely to the front and gently crease the folds. Glue the ends together where they overlap. Cut two 5"x⅞" Mirage circles papers and glue one centered on the band front and one on the band back.
- Cut 3⅜"x3⅜" white cardstock and stamp the girl with kittens and the cat on it. Use the pencils to color the girl, kittens, cat, and basket in the colors shown. Color the ground brown as before. When all coloring is done, blend with the stumps and blending solution. Mat on red cardstock with 1/16" borders, then on black cardstock with ⅛" borders. Use tape to attach it to the belly band center front.
- Stamp “love” on Mirage red paper, then trim to 1½"x⅝". Mat on black cardstock with 1/16" borders, then on red cardstock with ⅛" borders. Cut a ⅝" Dazzles™ border and place under the word. Glue to the belly band as shown. Slip the band over the card.