Designer's Tip: If you are careful when you cut out your butterfly “window”, you can save the cut out piece for the inside of your card.
- Mat a 6 1/8”x4 5/8” hammered silver paper on black suede with a 1/8” border and place on a 6 1/2”x5” white cardstock.
- Use the butterfly window from the template to trace a butterfly at an angle to the right, as shown. Remove template, place on cutting mat and use the X-acto® knife to carefully cut out the window, saving the butterfly cut out for later. Turn your piece over and place the evacuated area over the iris-folding pattern on the template so the pattern is centered inside the butterfly window, and secure with stencil tape.
- Cut 1”x4 1/2" strips of the following papers and quantities: 9 of black suede, 12 of snow suede and 21 of black/white flourish. On each, fold 1/4” under on one long side. Starting at the outer edge of the window, find the lowest number on the template (If the numbers are hidden behind window edges, build the design on all sides until you can see where the pieces overlap). Place your first flourish strip face down over the lowest number on the “A” section, aligning the folded edge with the printed line on the template. Secure the strip ends with clear tape. Find the next highest number and tape a flourish strip in place over the “B” section. Tape your 3rd strip (white) over the “C” section and your 4th (black) over the “D” section. Continue, following the numbers and taping the strips, stacking the same colors on top of each other.
- After taping the final strip, cut a 1 1/2” square of silver and tape over the center opening. Carefully remove the stencil tape and turn the piece over. Place your card with the fold at the top and place your iris-folded piece on the front of your card. Place a large black sparklet at the butterfly center. Place the small dot border Dazzles™ around the heart window, pressing and turning around the curves.
- Use VersaMark™ to stamp “You are one of a kind” on a 2 3/4”x7/8” silver, dust with embossing powder and set with the heat gun. Cut the left end in an inverted “v” shape and mat on black with a 1/16” border. Place a triple layer of foam tape under the center of the strip, and Zot™ each end down, aligning with the right edge, as shown.
- Place a 5 1/2” length of 1/2” wide ribbon down the center of a 1 1/4”x5” houndstooth paper, gluing ribbon ends under paper edges. Place the strip 3/8” from the left edge of your card. Place a large dot Dazzle border strip down the center and scallop edge Dazzle borders on right and left edges. Tie a bow with 1/2” wide ribbon, Zot™ onto houndstooth and place large dot Dazzle strips down the center of the ribbon loops and tails. Place a small grey sparklet on the bow.
- For the inside: Mat the saved butterfly cutout on black with a 1/16” border and place off the edge of the card, as shown. Trim even with the card edge. Stamp and emboss “My kind” on a 3”x7/8” silver, cut the right end in an inverted “v” shape and mat on black with a 1/16” border. Place a triple layer of foam tape under the center of the strip, and Zot™ each end down, as shown.
- Use the template to trace and cut out two small hearts, one black and one silver. Place the black heart over the end of the text strip. Wrap a length of 1/4” ribbon across the silver heart, gluing ends to the back, then mat on houndstooth with a 1/8” border. Foam tape as shown and place a large grey sparklet over the ribbon.