Technique: To achieve the watercolor look, color the images with the pencils first. (The darker you press, the darker the image will become when painted with water.) Add shading with darker pencils as desired. After coloring it, wash over the colored area with the water brush to blend the shades together and create a watercolored image. To change colors, swipe the brush across clean paper towels until no color transfers, then paint the next area. For large areas such as the background area on this paper, use very little water to avoid warping the paper. Let the paper dry or use a heat tool to dry it, being careful not to melt the black Color Me™ resist images.
- For the card front: Turn the card with the fold at the top and cover the front with cardstock. Cut a 6¼"x4¾" Color Me™ corner postcard paper with the small flower cluster at the upper right. Follow the directions above to color the images with the watercolor pencils.
- Color the flowers 124, then shade the darker areas with 126. Color the centers with 126 and 133. Color the leaves 166 with 168 on top, then color the shadowed areas with 155. Color the border hearts with 156 and the leafy looking designs with 121. Color the background lightly with 108. Use the water brush to blend the colors as directed above.
- Glue the paper centered on the front. Cut out the 3 1/2" Color Me™ bordered label and stamp “for someone special” near the right end. Color the outer edge with 133, the hearts with 155, and the leafy looking designs with 124. Blend with the water brush and let dry. Foam tape to the front, 1" from the left edge.
- Cut out one large and one small butterfly from the Color Me™ labels page and color with 119, 136, 156, and 155. Blend with the water brush and, when dry, glue one above the label, placing foam tape under the wings, and foam tape the smaller one onto the label. Cut out a flower/leaf cluster and color the same as the flowers on the card front. Punch a hole in the flower center and place a linen brad there. Foam tape the flower onto the label. Place a pearl on the butterfly and one on the label.
- For the inside: Cut the scroll Color Me™ border and trim to 6½". Color the design with 125 as shown, blend with the brush, and mat the long edges on cardstock with 1/16" borders. Glue to the inside, 2½" from the bottom. Cut out the butterfly Color Me™ tag and stamp “belated” and “birthday wishes” on it as shown.
- Color the tag border with 108. Color the flowers with 119, 124, and 133 and the leaves with 168 and 156. Color the butterfly with 119, 136, 156, and 155. Blend the colors with the water brush, let dry, then glue centered on the inside.
- Cut out two small flowers and color the same as the flowers on the tag. Punch a hole in one flower center and place a linen brad there. Foam tape one flower over the other on the label. Place a pearl on the butterfly and one on the label.