Technique: Sparkling Dryer Sheet
This is an unusual technique and works for any theme where glitter is needed. It requires a used dryer sheet—use it a couple times in your dryer to get all the chemicals out of it. If it’s wrinkled, iron the sheet on low heat. First, stamp a design on cardstock or paper and color it. Trim the dryer sheet to be slightly larger than the paper, then spray some adhesive over one side of the dryer sheet. Lay the sheet on the stamped panel and press out any bubbles. Sprinkle fine glitter over the sheet (the adhesive soaks through the sheet a bit and will hold most of the glitter in place). Tap off the excess glitter, trim the dryer sheet even with the edges of the paper, and use the panel in your design. Be sure to check out the Sparkling Dryer Sheet Grateful Card in this chapter for another look. (Tip: This technique works great on any “frosty” designs, too!)
- On Butterfly Wings Double-Sided Paper Pack (link)
- On Butterfly Wings stamp set (link)
- Cardstocks: white, brown, black
- Kindred Spirits Embellies™ (link)
- 20" of ⅜" wide tan/brown stitched grosgrain ribbon
- Tan embroidery thread
- 6" round white paper doilies (link)
- 4" round white paper doilies (link)
- Rich Cocoa Memento ink pad (link)
- Basics Cat’s Eye Queue pigment ink pad set
- Spectrum Noir pen sets: Turquoise (link), Pink (link), Pale Hues (link), Green (link)
- Cool Diamond Silk Microfine glitter (link)
- Acrylic stamping block
- Craft sheet (link)
- Used dryer sheet, iron
- Spray adhesive, paper towels
- Foam tape
- ½" wide Ultra Clear tape
- 5"x6½" white card & envelope (link)
- For the card front: Turn the card with the fold at the top. Cut 6½"x5" black cardstock and glue to the front. Place a 6" doily on the craft sheet and rub the Bronze and Copper pigment ink pads over it to completely color the doily. Wipe with a paper towel to remove excess ink.
- Cut 6⅜"x4⅞" On Butterfly Wings brown ads paper. Spray the back of the doily with adhesive and place on the brown paper with 1" extending off the top edge and 2" off the left edge. Trim the excess, then glue the paper centered on the front.
- Cut 6⅜"x1¾" Butterfly Wings pink pindot paper and mat the long edges on brown cardstock with 1/16" borders. Wrap a 7" ribbon across it, ⅜" from the bottom, and glue the ends to the back. Glue the paper to the brown ads paper, ⅝" from the card bottom.
- Cut 5"x2⅛" white cardstock and stamp the butterfly image on it with Rich Cocoa. Color the image with pens, using PL1 on the butterfly’s wings and BP2 for shading near the body. Color the body with DG4 and the postage stamp with EB2.
- Place the colored panel on the craft sheet. Cut 6"x3" dryer sheet and follow the technique directions above. Trim the dryer sheet even with the panel edges.
- Mat the glittered panel on brown cardstock with 1/16" borders, then on black cardstock with 1/32" borders. Foam tape to the front, just overlapping the ribbon’s upper edge.
- Make a 4-loop bow and tie the center with thread. Wrap the prongs of a tan Embellie™ over the center, then use Ultra Clear tape to attach the bow to the center of the first ribbon.
- For the inside: Cut 5¾"x3¾" Butterfly Wings brown ads paper and mat on black cardstock with 1/16" borders. Glue to the inside center. Ink a 4" paper doily with Bronze and Copper as before and wipe off the excess. Glue as shown.
- Cut 6½"x1½" Butterfly Wings pink pindot paper and mat the long edges on brown cardstock with ⅛" borders. Stamp “fly toward your…” ⅝" from the left end with Rich Cocoa. Glue to the inside, 1¼" from the bottom.
- Cut 2⅝"x3⅝" white cardstock and stamp the rose cluster and three butterflies on it with Rich Cocoa as shown. Using the pens, color the roses with PL1 and shade with BP2. Color the butterflies with BT4 and shade with BT5. Color the leaves with DG2 and shade with DG4.
- Cover the panel with the dryer sheet and glitter as before, then trim the excess dryer sheet even with the cardstock edges. Mat the panel on brown cardstock with 1/16" borders, then glue to the inside as shown.