Technique: Faux Tooled Leather
This technique creates a look that is very similar to tooled leather, but is simply embossed, inked, and heat-embossed cardstock! First emboss cardstock in an embossing folder. Rub an ink pad that’s darker than the cardstock over the raised surfaces and let dry. Then, press a VersaMark™ ink pad over the surface to completely cover it with ink—both the raised and base surfaces. Cover with embossing powder, tap off the excess, and heat to melt the powder. Repeat the heat embossing process for another layer. Trim the panel and use on your card. I used two different brown inks for this card to illustrate the difference between coloring the raised surfaces with a soft foam-style ink pad (on the front panel) and the firmer, linen style ink pad (on the inside). The softer pad reaches down into the base as well as the raised surfaces, whereas the firmer ink pad stays up on the raised surfaces, leaving the base free of ink. Also be sure to check out the Faux Tooled Leather Sympathy Card in this chapter for another version of this technique.
- Letterpress Double-Sided Paper Pack (link)
- Cardstocks: tan, light brown, dark brown
- Thank You Words embossing folder (link)
- Dark Brown Fluid Chalk ink pad (link)
- Timber Brown StazOn® ink pad (link)
- VersaMark™ ink pad (link)
- Clear Gloss embossing powder (link)
- Heat gun (link)
- Die cutting or embossing machine (link)
- ¼" corner rounder punch
- Foam tape (link)
- 5"x6½" white card & envelope (link)
- For the card front: Turn the card with the fold at the top. Cut 6½"x5" dark brown cardstock and glue to the front. Cut 6⅜"x4⅞" Letterpress brown scuffed paper and glue centered on the front.
- Cut 6½"x4½" light brown cardstock and emboss in the folder. Rub the Dark Brown ink pad over the raised surfaces. Follow the directions above to heat emboss clear gloss over the entire panel twice.
- Trim the embossed panel to 5⅞"x4⅛", then round the corners with the punch. Mat on dark brown cardstock with 1/16" borders, then on light brown cardstock with 1/32" borders. Glue to the center front.
- Cut 6½"x4½" tan cardstock and repeat the process to create a second panel. Cut “thanks a bunch” from the panel and round the corners with the punch. Ink the edges with Dark Brown, then mat on dark brown cardstock with 1/32" borders. Foam tape over the matching words.
- Cut “grazie,” “thank”, and “thanks” from the tan embossed panel and round the corner next to the ‘s’ on ‘thanks.’ Ink the edges with Dark Brown, then foam tape each word as shown.
- For the inside: Cut 6½"x2½" Letterpress tan border paper with the border along the bottom and ink the edges with Dark Brown. Glue across the center. Cut 5"x4½" Letterpress teal tapestry paper and ink the edges with Dark Brown. Glue to the inside center.
- Cut 6½"x4½" light brown cardstock and emboss in the folder. Rub the Timber Brown ink pad over the raised surfaces, then heat emboss with gloss embossing powder twice. Trim 4¼"x4" from the left end and mat it on tan cardstock with 1/16" borders. Glue to the center of the teal paper.